Trickjumps

• 4 Replies

Offline JC Grim the 'crete reaper

• I might be sick, broken, torn to pieces...
    • View Profile
Trickjumps
« on: June 16, 2009, 06:38:28 »

Well, I've noticed a few people looking for the definition of trickjump levels. Maybe I overlooked it, but I haven't seen it on this forum anywhere. So here is a direct quote from LPChip, pulled from the old forum.

Rules/Guidelines for Trickjumps

A trickjump map is a challenge to test your jump skills. This means that a trickjump map cannot contain enemies, nor keys, nor other puzzle elements and especially, no secret passages to skip one or more jumps. Pure jumping.

It can be desired to have collectable powerups, but these are restricted too. Preferabelly give them at the start (so you can't even collect them during the run) but if you really have to add them, make sure that it doesn't create a puzzle element. This means that during the run, you jump as if it wasn't there and continue in the same direction. You certainly are not allowed to get a powerup so you need to backtrack your way and find the next path.

Simply put, make sure that at any given time its easy to see where to go, and don't add unpredictable elements or elements that will slow you down too much (lasers).

Your level can only fall under the cathegory Challenge.

When you submit your level, write it as [trickJump] NameOfMap.

Difficulty level
See what the hardest jump in your map is, and use that as difficulty level. Due to not having creatures in your level, the hardest jump possible will be Very Hard.

Layout of the map
Its very common for Trickjump map to start with a series of easy jumps and make them harder along the way. Usually there also is a small training section near the start area with the hardest jumps so you can practice before taking the tour.

The map shouldn't have too many savespots. In fact, its better to not use them, but create your level in such way, that when you miss the jump you get to a section you were earlier. If your map is devided into different big sections, you can create a savespot at the start of those sections. If you have some harder parts, you might want to add savespots to keep the level interesting enough.

Missing the jump doesn't have to mean dead, but can be falling on the ground having you to move back to a place where you can climb up to the start of those series of jumps.
----------------

I could've missed something, Nifflas, but this is my first set.

Also, can you add an object to the V1.1 build that basically is a clock?

You have a start clock and end clock tile. If you collide with the start clock, a timer will start running. Its important that the clock won't restart counting from 0 if you touch that tile again, only if you touched the stop clock first.

The idea is when you hit stop-clock, it keeps the time visible but stopped. This way, you can make a screenshot of your time and challenge other people to do better.

For more information about how the trickjumpscene works, I'll give a site that I used to visit alot. http://codjumper.tk/

This site is dedicated to do trickjumps in the games CoD, CoD:UO and CoD2. People started to do trickjumps in the stock maps, but soon people made challenging maps especially for the game. When you start a game, it gives you a timer from the start. When you do your run, and you hit the target, you make a screenshot. It shows you how much time you had left. (timer counts down) That technique sucked, so they made a script that simply displays a counter from start and stop.

I felt it would be better to make this information readily available on this forum, since there isn't any info included in the game about trickjumps, and it's important for users to be able to locate this info for better level construction.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

- George Orwell

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: Trickjumps
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 12:44:47 »
Thansk for posting. :) This certainly is a great piece of information to have. The only doubt I have, is the location. I'll think about where this would fit best. :)

Note to any mod: if you know a better place, feel free to move this.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 13:38:30 »
Seems fine here to me :) Thanks for posting, JC!

Offline Krumel

• One can be dividided by Zero!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 18:59:31 »
Quote from: JC Grim the 'crete reaper (well, actually LPChip)
You have a start clock and end clock tile. If you collide with the start clock, a timer will start running. Its important that the clock won't restart counting from 0 if you touch that tile again, only if you touched the stop clock first.

That's something that could be added in KSA :)

Offline JC Grim the 'crete reaper

• I might be sick, broken, torn to pieces...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 04:53:31 »
Thansk for posting. :) This certainly is a great piece of information to have. The only doubt I have, is the location. I'll think about where this would fit best. :)

Your quite welcome. I certainly questioned the placement of it myself. I debated between Level Editing, and Knytt Stories section, as they seem to be the only plausible choices, but I figured since it pertained directly to Level Editing, and it was helping with Level Editing, so I figured it would be considered support as well. Though if there is a better place for it, I completely agree with LPChip.

Quote from: JC Grim the 'crete reaper (well, actually LPChip)

That's something that could be added in KSA :)

Actually, I believe it to be partially implemented already. It just doesn't work, or doesn't work correctly... I can't quite remember. Anyway, there are objects for it in the KSA object bank.
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

- George Orwell