[platformer] Beacon

• 10 Replies
[platformer] Beacon
« on: December 13, 2009, 18:27:12 »
It's a lovely little game.  The conceit is that you have to stay within the light from either the glowing crystals or the moving beacon to keep from being eaten by unseen grue-like things, and the game really creates a convincing atmosphere and the feeling of attachment to the beacon.

First download on the developer's "games" page, or just click here, Windows only.

(If your comment involves the game's ending, please remember to use spoiler tags!)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 18:31:30 by rivenwanderer »

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
Re: [platformer] Beacon
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 22:29:37 »
Creepy. o-0
EDIT:
Spoiler: EDINGSPOILER! (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 22:46:27 by Pumpkinbot »
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 23:19:58 »
This was awesome. When I played it, it was night, and everyone else was sleeping. So it was all dark and quiet. Then I start up this game, and notices it's in full screen, and very dark and creepy. Perfect match. I was also pretty tired, and had a slight headache. That made me almost feel like I was that guy! I mean, it fitted perfectly to what happened to him in the beginning. Even though I ragequit once because I thought the game was going too slow, and one of the last screens was way too long and I died at the very end right before the next screen, I resumed the game the night after (when I felt the same things).
What I want to say is that this game gave me an experience I really doubt I will ever forget. It was awesome! I can really recommend everyone to do the exact same as me, play it at late night (with fullscreen).
However, I had predicted the ending since the second or third screen. I was maybe not 100% sure, but I absolutely thought something similar would happen...
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 23:23:53 by LimeLemon »
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Backloggery (click to show/hide)

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 19:55:24 »

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 18:19:20 »

Offline The stickman

• Lol wut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 06:27:13 »
Spoiler: Entire Game Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hoo boy, that's the longest post I've done in a while.

(And btw, I took your advice, Lemon. As I'm writing this, I have just completed my first run of the game. In the dark. With everyone sleeping. And it was way too quiet too not be creepy. My NVIDIA GeForce graphics card, the card specifically named in the readme to cause problems, only screwed up one red crystal, so none of the atmosphere was ruined either.)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 06:33:45 by The stickman »

My Stars::hiddenstar::hiddenstar:
The blood of the innocent will flow without end, it's Zorc - That's me! - it's Zorc and pals!

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 21:00:34 »

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 00:41:41 »
This was awesome. When I played it, it was night, and everyone else was sleeping. So it was all dark and quiet. Then I start up this game, and notices it's in full screen, and very dark and creepy. Perfect match. I was also pretty tired
Aren't you lucky. I played the game in broad daylight, with some uplifting music from another computer, and someone else reading aloud. X( I did play a game like this in those conditions once. It was very creepy and I had trouble getting to sleep. Anyway, great game. Pretty hard at some points. I think the endings been spoiled in every single other post, so there's no need for me to.
Lurk more.

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 09:27:49 »
Wait, really? It kinda makes sense, but...
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Backloggery (click to show/hide)

Offline Zelakon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 15:53:36 »
Downloaded; commencing play in 13 minutes and 37 seconds time.

I'll give it an overall objective rating out of 10 (to the nearest one decimal place) along with a rough ranking as to where it lies in comparison to other indie platformers I have played in the past, based on my subjective enjoyment of the game.

Offline Zelakon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 22:03:28 »
6.8 - I really liked this game, another short 'n' sweet indie title.

Pros: Dark atmosphere, retro sound effects.
Cons: Too linear, lack of action.

It wasn't large enough as a game to be ranked for me, since it was apparently a 24 hour challenge for the game creator?  Skilled guy!

EDIT: Actually created in 48 hours instead.  Still remarkably impressive...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 22:06:36 by Zelakon »