[Environmental, small] Melanchoholia

• 7 Replies

Offline saba

• View Profile
[Environmental, small] Melanchoholia
« on: January 03, 2011, 13:48:23 »
Okaaay, so after I declared in the preview thread for Bitter Liver that I wouldn't enter the current level competition, I've decided to anyway.
It's one sequence of the bigger level and I thought it would work quite well on its own, even though it isn't very big.

It's like a preview, but it is a level in itself.  :^^:

Grab it.

Offline WreckSauce

• I'm smilin', cos yo be burnin'
    • View Profile
Re: [Environmental, small] Melanchoholia
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 04:22:07 »
I don't want to .. Dishearten you.. But this is bad.

The background is horrible in places, either it's too boring and random, or it's too crazy and you can't even see where you are going.

Music does however, go with it.
But uh yeah.. Nice try.

Offline Pie_Sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 04:58:11 »
I actually rather liked the level. It creates a very unique, dream-like atmosphere, especially with that wonderful crackling piano recording. Though, as WreckSauce stated, you cannot see the path to take, I found it was easily discerned by the tried-and-true technique of holding left and up while pressing S occasionally.

The few screens where the city fades out and you enter a barren expanse of sepia in which misshapen structures begin to loom in the background was my favorite part. I thought the white background of the phonograph was a bit jarring, and though I enjoyed falling after its music was silenced, the final screen seemed perhaps too abstract and anticlimactic, even for a level so abstract and anticlimactic itself. However, you said this is merely one part of a larger level, and I assume this issue will be resolved in the final product.

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 00:03:03 »
Hello!  :D
Anyway personally i like this level alot!
Although yes the path was hard to take, it was still quite easy to get from point A to point B, theree was no maze or tricky jumping, you just maybe had to climb here and there.
But it would still have been nice if the path was a bit more visible, or obvious.
The thing i like about this level, is that its like showing what a complete stranger going into a new city would see it, although the structure and acrhitechture of the city is normal to its inhabitants the stranger sees it as a bizzare new world.
I will love to see the the whole level.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 19:58:22 »
That was awesome. Loved the idea of putting those symbol things (the gramophone etc.) that stand out so much, and yet feel so perfectly fitting. I wonder if there will be more in the finished level? Also, the screen with a single car up above the city was very touching, as were many other screens, oh, and the exit to sepia in particular. Terrific stuff, hope to see the full level come out soon!

(Technical note, I found a wallswim: going up from x993y1000 the player is bound to bump into a wall.)

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 23:52:23 »
Do you think it's best to wait for the full game? Will playing this detract from the experience of playing that?

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 22:13:58 »
Really interesting and unusual. I thought the music was excellent - it fix perfectly with the enviro.

Gameplay was a little tough. I couldn't tell what surfaces were walk/climbable. I think it works better as a piece of art, rather than a "game."

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 22:25:12 »
I agree with the above..
It was truly fantastic, and very.. successful in pushing a feeling on me. I still am not able to identify it..
Somehow it reminds me of Lavender Town from the original R/b/y pokemon games..
in that it, using simple music and tiles, wields a huge suggestive power..
I really, really liked it.
:D

Wallswim directly above juni (below)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 01:34:30 by Dj Gopher »