What are flags and how do I use them?

• 5 Replies

Offline LB

• I failed the Turing test.
    • View Profile
    • LB-Stuff
What are flags and how do I use them?
« on: February 21, 2010, 20:14:09 »
I have searched these forums but people already seem to know what they are, and nobody has mentioned how to actually use them. I want to be able to do something like warping to a warp, then that second warp will turn a flag on and put you in another area, and you will have to exit and load the level again and be where the second warp is but not warp. Like this:

Use warp A: Warp to B, save.
Collision with Warp B & flag off: Warp somewhere, set flag on.

Is this possible somehow? I would really like an explanation of what flags are and how they are used.

Thanks,
-LB

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: What are flags and how do I use them?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 21:15:23 »
I've [search]ed a bit, and after a mention in the [faq] I noticed a link to this topic: http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=20.0
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline LB

• View Profile
    • LB-Stuff
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 02:59:54 »
OK, I have read that, but I am still somewhat confused. Do they instantly teleport you from that room, or do they only apply to warps?? I've done some testing but it just doesn't make any sense!

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 05:14:06 »
When you enter a screen with a flag on, it looks for a flag warp. If there is one, it warps you the number of screens the flag warp tells you to. Also, flag warps have nothing to do with regular warps and don't require the orange arrow square object.

EDIT: Here, take the flag demonstration level I made, and look at the settings ini. (Level > Settings in the menu bar) It should be simple enough.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 05:20:03 by Purple Pineapple »
Lurk more.

Offline LB

• View Profile
    • LB-Stuff
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 16:14:06 »
Ahh, thanks! I think I understand it much better now. So what I want to do is possible. :)

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 18:07:06 »
Glad to hear I could help. :)
Lurk more.