[Environmental/Challenge] Elegance

• 64 Replies

Zydragazum

[Environmental/Challenge] Elegance
« on: July 17, 2010, 02:16:06 »
Hello, everyone. :)

This seems like a very nice community, and I've been into Knytt Stories for a very long time. I've always wanted to create my own level, so I've set out to do so. Note that this will be my first major, not to say, public level.

I can't guarantee constant attention to this project because I am simultaneously trying to educate myself for next year in school. I also have major creativity issues which I need help with (maybe I can even find assistance here).

On to the level!

This will be an environmental level, but there will be small challenging bits (all at an easy to moderate difficulty). Currently, there is no large and intricate plot - actually, there's no plot at all. C) I'll make an attempt to create one later.

What I really try to do in my levels is to use as much custom content as possible. I am hoping that for the majority, my tilesets will all be custom, but will stick to classic pixelated style of Nifflas' tilesets.

Of course, I won't leave you without screenshots. I am almost done my first tileset, entitled "Elegance". I want it to be as fully functional as possible. I am hoping to create an "Interiors" tileset as well (I plan for all buildings to be fully integrated, meaning you can enter them and they will be consistent with the exterior).

Currently, the level is titled "Elegance" because I don't actually have a name for it. I just named it after the tileset for now. I'll keep this name until I'm done.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
Re: [Environmental/Challenge] Elegance
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 02:18:22 »
Oh. My. God!

Seriously, words fail me, that looks so completely and utterly awesome. AWESMOE, even.

Zydragazum

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 02:26:03 »
Lol, thank you Hmpf.

I have seen your work and I've played your levels - I can't wait for the next installment of Falling Water! I am very honored to receive that kind of praise from you. :)

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 02:46:45 »
Lol, thank you Hmpf.

I have seen your work and I've played your levels - I can't wait for the next installment of Falling Water! I am very honored to receive that kind of praise from you. :)

As I am to receive yours. Thank you. :-)

(You better *not* have really bad 'creativity issues' with this level, because my appetite is whet, now! SRSLY. ;-))

Zydragazum

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 02:51:18 »
My creativity issues are a little difficult to describe. I'm a person who needs instant gratification to go on. So if I'm trudging along really slowly and I'm not satisfied with what I'm doing (which is often, because I'm a perfectionist), I'll get discouraged.

I'm aiming for my level to be like Gaia. I will constantly update it - there will be no end. :) Or maybe there will be various points where you can end the game.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 02:58:38 »
My creativity issues are a little difficult to describe. I'm a person who needs instant gratification to go on. So if I'm trudging along really slowly and I'm not satisfied with what I'm doing (which is often, because I'm a perfectionist), I'll get discouraged.

I'm aiming for my level to be like Gaia. I will constantly update it - there will be no end. :) Or maybe there will be various points where you can end the game.

Well, as long as you produce quality screens like the above, you can always come to me for gratification. ;-)

Also, my sympathies on the perfectionism. I suffer from that disease also.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 14:22:27 »
These screenshots look very promising. A bit odd how the houses are so small, and yet you want the interiors to be just as small... eh. Anyway, I very much hope your plans will work out!

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 15:05:19 »
They're knytt-scale houses! ;-)

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 21:11:35 »
Never thought I'd say this, but...

Welcome to the forum! Your level looks like it could be the next Gaia! :U

But the mods might start complaining because the definition of "environmental" is "no enemies, beautiful terrain", which conflicts with "challenge". Some people have instead posted their levels as "scenic/challenge" to bypass this. Yay, loophole! :D
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Zydragazum

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 23:18:08 »
Thank you, guys. :)

Scenic? Works fine too! I was philosophizing on the concept of how monsters are still part of the natural environment.

Anyways, I haven't been able to do much lately. I've been constructing a new tileset that's a little too SecretGlitch'ed for me to call it my own. X-P That good sir's levels are brilliant, and I was playing a little too much Dark Sea at the time. (I really hope Dark Sea 2 will be out soon.) Well, I guess this'll just be a tribute to him and will fill in for him when he's not releasing glorious levels.

I'm planning for these facilities (see attached screenshot C)) to be scattered about the world. Note that the fans and the terminal in the second screenshot are animated.

P.S. Don't kill me.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 23:33:04 by Zydragazum »

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 23:20:10 »
You're giving me serious... hmm... knyttgasms here. (Sorry. But, really, these screens are *so* good...!)

Zydragazum

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 23:22:42 »
That makes me very happy. Thank you. :)

I'll try limiting them so you (and potentially other people) do not overload. :P

Edit: I added another screen (how ironic) to my previous post just to keep the consistency of 2 screens per post. Hopefully, it'll make me more inspired.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 23:32:23 by Zydragazum »

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 23:34:14 »
I'll try limiting them so you (and potentially other people) do not overload. :P

You are a stronger person than I, then. (See discussions in later pages of Falling Water preview thread to see what I mean. *g*)

Edit: I added another screen (how ironic) to my previous post just to keep the consistency of 2 screens per post. Hopefully, it'll make me more inspired.

Where? I can't see it... :-(

ETA: Okay, now it's there. :-)

Zydragazum

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 21:04:58 »
Awesome. I edited my first post to include this, but I'll post it here: the fans and the terminal are, of course, animated (the terminal screen blinks really rapidly, as if its refresh rate is really slow like on a CRT monitor. X-P)

I am now working on a custom Knytt village tileset. This is loosely based on the house in the "The Cave and the Disabled Machine" tileset. The tileset will have loads of village building blocks, so that when or if I release my tilesets with public usage rights (currently, I'm a little too proud of my work, lol), people will be able to build a very large variety of buildings and keep the players interested.

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 21:30:46 »
 C)
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D