Web host recommendations?

• 7 Replies

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
Web host recommendations?
« on: December 09, 2009, 09:47:44 »
When the initial sales curve for Saira have died out, I need to switch to a different web hotel. Hostmonster have introduced cpu throttling which is described here and this is the reason the forum becomes unavailable randomly.

I'm looking for an affordable host that allows extremely high bandwidth usage (remember that 'unlimited' is usually a lie and those contracts normally say 15GB/month somewhere). Any suggestions?

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
Re: Web host recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 10:05:50 »
I use HostGator for many years now, and I can only recommend their service. They have top-notch tech support; I've bothered them a few times and got useful response within hours, sometimes minutes. Also, they have great uptime, and they notify ahead of time of any foreseeable issues on the server you're on (eg. chassis swap and other maintenance stuff).

The only potential issue could be that they host from Texas, which might not be ideal if many of your visitors come from Europe. I've heard that they experiment with UK IPs now, but I'm not sure that will be ready in time.

Also, I'd love to comment on their bandwidth performance, but I don't have any experience with bandwidth-intense websites yet. :P (Thaiwonders pulls only about 7GB/month and it barely shows up on their meter.)

If it helps anything, the review site you've linked to above also speaks highly positively of HostGator.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 10:15:49 by SiamJai »

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 16:12:52 »
Nifflas, you should look into getting an affordable hosting in your area.

The US isn't a good place to have a business website as they all have shared stuff.

I now have a second website in the Netherlands with limited space and thats enough for what I need, but its also always up and very fast.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline D Fast

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 17:03:19 »
Dreamhost has worked like a dream for me.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 22:20:28 »
There's no affordable hosting in my area. Whatever I'd get my hands on would have a 15GB bandwidth limit per month for five times the cost of my hostmonster account. Limited space is ok, but I need something with an extremely high bandwidth limitation and that's the big problem...

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 16:04:07 »
Is having hosting in the Netherlands a big problem? If not, I can recommend my hosting. They have limited harddrive space (10gb), but 1 tb of bandwidth. And they're cheaper than hostmonster.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 17:14:27 »
10gb is no problem at all! If I can use all that bandwidth it should still be safe.

Offline LPChip

• View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 18:58:07 »
Okay :)

You should send an email to sales@neostrada.nl and see if they are okay with this.

Short overview of what they offer:

2,5 Gig of webspace with 250 gb of bandwidth for 1 euro a month
5,0 gig of webspace with 500 gb of bandwidth for 2,50 euro a month
10 gig of webspace with 1000 gb of bandwidth for 5 euro a month.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 19:07:38 by LPChip »

MODPlug Central Forum