Few questions...

• 11 Replies

Offline Wanderer

• He deserved it.
    • View Profile
Few questions...
« on: March 27, 2010, 20:42:37 »
1. Solved - thanks SiamJai How can I go about creating foot steps similar to those of Knytt and Juni? I am making my own ambient game and would like a similar atmosphere as to that of KS.

2. Solved - thanks LPChip I'm looking for music on ModArchive (ambient obviously) but I would also like to make my own. I've used a tracker before, so no worries there, I just don't know how to make something ambient in a tracker. Is there a tutorial someone could point me to?

3. Thanks "me" (I think what I have is good enough for now) I enjoy trying my hand at making simple pixel characters for my game, but is there anything someone could point me to for making land? Because the land I currently have doesn't look pixely enough for my taste, if you want to take a look I would gladly upload a pic.

4. Solved - thanks AClockworkLemon What picture ediotr does Nifflas use for Knytt and KS? Is it MS Paint? Or something more high-end?

Thanks for a lot for answering (in advance no less)

Cya 'round

Wanderer
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 20:02:48 by Wanderer »
"I wander to many places, but I quest to few."

YOUTUBE: http://www.youtube.com/user/CreepyThumb

I leave and come back, kinda like a ghost. Hmm...

Offline AClockworkLemon

• -Inactive-
    • View Profile
Re: Few questions...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 22:24:23 »
I can't give much info on question 1-3, but as for 4, you will need some fancy programs to get a good result. I personally suggest PhotoshopCS4, however that Is quite an expensive program. If you don't have the cash, try Paint.NET or GIMP
I'm not dead. Not entirely. And yes, I'm embarrassed by most of the posts I made here.
:hiddenstar: - From Pumpkinbot

Offline Wanderer

• He deserved it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 22:42:37 »
I have GIMP, but I'm not quite a fan of it because of all the windows. So I'll try Paint.NET.

Thanks! Now I'll check off number 4. :)

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 23:57:10 »

If you want to make ambient in a tracker, be sure to have the tools before you start. I would advice some VSTi's and VST's to help you out.

VSTi's to layer the strings. This might be quite easy to find as there are a dozen of those. Making it more interesting will certainly help if you add Nibiru VST to your output. This'll give it a nice res filtered texture for great atmospheres. In addition, adding a reverb to the chain will do wonders because then the sound will sound more in an environment.

You can get very nice effects using automation, so if you know how to do that, you might want to add an equaliser and control it using automation.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Wanderer

• He deserved it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 00:13:40 »
Thanks for the info LP, because whenever my mind went to a tracker, I always thought of either simple beats or complex club dances. I could never figure out how the ambients at ModArchive were made.

Alright, two more questions left...

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 05:01:46 »
1. How can I go about creating foot steps similar to those of Knytt and Juni? I am making my own ambient game and would like a similar atmosphere as to that of KS.

According to a recently published interview, the footstep sound effect of Knytt was made by recording fingers typing on paper. You could experiment with that.

Offline Wanderer

• He deserved it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 20:01:00 »
Thanks Siam Jai, I would have never though of that. I was trying to replica the sound by using a plastic pen on wooden floor, but that still didn't seem to work.

Now time to cross of number one! :D Only one more question left. :)

I think I solved three on my own. :P
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 20:03:18 by Wanderer »

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 23:00:00 »
I can't give much info on question 1-3, but as for 4, you will need some fancy programs to get a good result. I personally suggest PhotoshopCS4, however that Is quite an expensive program. If you don't have the cash, try Paint.NET or GIMP
I really don't think photoshop is the best program for knytt-style graphics, actually. It strikes me as more of a photo manipulator than a pixel art program. Nifflas probably used MMF's built-in sprite sheet editor to make the graphics.
Lurk more.

Offline Wanderer

• He deserved it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 23:59:00 »
I've been using that for my gfx, but he uses such a wide range of colors (which I don't know how to use the color wheel) that I don't think he used the built in editor, except for transparent tweaking.

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 04:24:07 »
(which I don't know how to use the color wheel)
Ya know the colour tablet on the right sidebar? Under it there are three squares. The lone one on the right show the transparent colour. The two stacked ones on the left show the background and foreground colours. Double click the top square. BAM! Colour wheel! :P
Spoiler: Visual aid (click to show/hide)
Lurk more.

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 16:35:18 »
I could never figure out how the ambients at ModArchive were made.

Er, wouldn't you be able to figure it out by just opening up the modules and looking at everything?  (Of course, I've personally found ambient music to be the easiest music to track...)

Offline Wanderer

• He deserved it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 17:30:31 »
Thanks Purple Pineapple, I've seen it before, but really haven't remembered how to open back up.  :P

@minmay I actually never thought of opening the mod files in a tracker...  :oops: