How do I take away the umberella?

• 8 Replies

Offline Feline Monstrosity

• Pussy cat, pussy cat..
    • View Profile
How do I take away the umberella?
« on: June 26, 2010, 13:25:40 »
Hi. I'm making a level and I want to use a shift to take away the umberella item. The problem is that it's possible for the player to hit D as they enter the shift and then as they go through the shift they will have the umberella out and all the shift does is take away the ability to put the umberella away, which ruins the level. Is there a way around this?
"In the world there is nothing more submissive and weak than water. Yet for attacking that which is hard and strong nothing can surpass it. "  ~Lao Tzu

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
Re: How do I take away the umberella?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 16:48:50 »
I'm just guessing here, but what if you used two shifts on two screens?
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

• Pussy cat, pussy cat..
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 20:13:16 »
I don't understand what you mean. Can you explain?
"In the world there is nothing more submissive and weak than water. Yet for attacking that which is hard and strong nothing can surpass it. "  ~Lao Tzu

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 20:45:49 »
Make the shift object remove the umbrella AND trigger a cutscene. When the cutscene ends, the umbrella will be closed and disabled, even if the player had it open before.
Some KS levels by me:

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 21:14:23 »
I don't understand what you mean. Can you explain?
Nope, sorry. I forgot how the bug worked. My idea was stupid. :^^:
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

• Pussy cat, pussy cat..
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 21:25:28 »
Make the shift object remove the umbrella AND trigger a cutscene. When the cutscene ends, the umbrella will be closed and disabled, even if the player had it open before.
Hmmm. I'm afraid that would disrupt the flow of the level, which is central to its design. I think I'll just have to live with the bug and trust people not to cheat.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 22:52:54 »
If you want to avoid this, then you'll have to design your level to ensure people can't have the umbrella open, either before or after you've taken away the power.

For instance, Make a jump that is high enough to be only reached without the umbrella and either set the shift before or right after that part (can be a teleporter you must reach)

If you do a test after the shift, make sure people can kill themselves somehow, and put a save right before that shift, so people have a chance to get there properly.

But yeah, a cutscene is better.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 00:50:35 »
Actually, I think a test after the shift is better than a cutscene (just save immediately before it so they don't have to go through the shift again - dying removes the umbrella after all).  Nothing fancy, just have a set of spikes with updraft objects below it.  You can even cover up the updraft on layer 4 with a CO on layer 5, but if the player sees the spikes they'll be all "wtf?" and if they jump into invisible spikes they'll be all "wtf?" and if you use no-jump objects then they'll be all "wtf can't I jump?"

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 09:23:50 »
Also remember, you can save in your shift. Minmay's option is the best one I think.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex