[Hard, puzzle, Challenge]The Quest of Unknown Length (Working Title)

• 33 Replies

Offline Xia

• View Profile
[Name]
The Quest of Unknown Length (This name may change)

[Name ideas]
Here's some ideas for a level title. Tell me which one is better:
  • The Quest of Unknown Length (gets cut off in game select)
  • Quest of Unknown Length (doesn't get cut off)
  • Happy Stroll of Doom
  • Monstrous Walk
  • Epic Quest of Unknown Length (also gets cut off)
  • Quest for the Texas Monster (lol inside joke)
  • more later . . .

[Beta Testers]
Pick Yer Poison
Exp HP
Emeraldfire7
Purple Pineapple
any other people in real life who agree to play it for me

~New testers~

~Hergberg~
fred052

[Contains]
-Large expanses of land
-detailed scenery
-bosses as well as sub-bosses
-zelda based game play
-hidden areas
-a code to collect and enter at the end of the game (best to write it down as you go)
-the code will also get you the secret ending

[Difficulty]
It will be a hard level, some parts more challenging than others. I'm trying to make it less insane than previous levels.

[Info]
Dunno how close this will get to 1000 screens but I want it to be bigger than my last level. I'm shooting for at least 400-500. The idea behind it is that you start in a small tower and are simply told to go left or right. You collect powers along the path and at the end you are warped back to the beginning to finish the game. This may sound simple but when I say "walk along the path" I don't mean an afternoon stroll. This will be a long level.

This is somewhat of a collab with my friend because he is giving me critique as I go along.
Finish/upload dates aren?t very clear at this point.

[Music]

-the band: God is an Astronaut
song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEDhsDoqXns

-ambient stuff from:
http://sphericlounge.blogspot.com/

-more to come...

[Screen Shots]
Spoiler: beginning (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: rocks (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: mountain cave (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: prairie (click to show/hide)

[Updates]

~12/12~
Working on a custom tileset for one of the bosses. Much progress has been made since last update.

~11/29~
New screenshot from one of the newer areas added to the level.

~11/18~
Beta testers are in! I will be sending a first draft of the level around as soon as possible. Probably tomorrow.

~11/18~
THINGS TO GET PERMISSION FOR:
God is an Astronaut: DONE

~11/17~
At this point I'd say I'm nearing the half way point in terms of the amount of areas I need to make.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 05:15:48 by Xia »
[medium size, two endings, hard difficulty] Flight.
Coming soon! The Quest of Unknown Length

Offline StaticRomantic

• it's coming to get you
    • View Profile
to put screens, upload them to somewhere like Fileshack or Photobucket.
then, when editing a post, press the picture button, and paste the link to the pic in between the "[img]" things.
read over this when you have questions like this.

level sounds interesting. i'd beta test, but i'm currently busy with college apps and think i'd just slow the process  :/

hint: just make sure quantity doesn't replace quality, as is the case with most extra-big levels
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 08:44:20 by StaticRomantic »

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
Love the title. Keep it. :nuts:
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
Looks good. Can I beta test? :D

Offline fred052

• View Profile
I want to beta test too. Also, the level sounds interesting...
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline Xia

• View Profile
hint: just make sure quantity doesn't replace quality, as is the case with most extra-big levels

No need to worry about this. I'm paying close attention to detail and making sure every screen is full of things to look at.

Looks good. Can I beta test? :D
I want to beta test too. Also, the level sounds interesting...

Sounds good, thanks. Once I get 3 more I'll send a link to all of you that will give you the level.

Offline Boxtop

• Feh.
    • View Profile
    • Boxtop's Website
Are you sure you're allowed to use that music?
<insert witty signature here>

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
This level sounds like quite the undertaking. Can't wait, and, um, godspeed.

Actually, maybe I should beta test...
You know what, I will!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 04:07:47 by Exp HP »
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

Offline Xia

• View Profile

I don't really care. Besides, I'm giving credit to them. It's not like I'm stealing it and trying to sell it back to people.

This level sounds like quite the undertaking. Can't wait, and, um, godspeed.

Actually, maybe I should beta test...
You know what, I will!

Great! I'll add you to the list.

Offline StaticRomantic

• it's coming to get you
    • View Profile

I don't really care. Besides, I'm giving credit to them. It's not like I'm stealing it and trying to sell it back to people.

might wanna be careful there. your level might get removed or somethin. it's never a bad idea to take a few extra minutes and email the creator of the song.

Using copyrighted material, including music and graphics or even characters, is not legal, as per United States laws. (These laws MUST be followed by the forum, as the server is in the USA), so in order to protect everyone, such things will be removed.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 04:15:26 by StaticRomantic »

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile

That's one way to look at it, but you should at least ask.  Try your best to contact each of the parties in question and secure permission. The administrators will be legally obligated to attend to concerns over copyright infringement should any arise.

Well, okay, you might have a difficult time contacting tri-Crescendo (Baten Kaitos) unless you speak Japanese, but I can confirm the others have contact methods easily found with a google search.
Boards of Canada is active on myspace,
So is God is an Astronaut. (they have a site but it lacks contact info)

Explosions in the sky has contacts on their website.

EDIT: Myspace is no good for you? Hah, and I thought I was the only person in the world who didn't have a Myspace account (then again, I have no presence on any of that sort of social networking, including Facebook and Twitter and even AIM).
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 04:47:36 by Exp HP »
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

Offline BloxMaster

• Master of the Bloxes!
    • View Profile
As I remember finished levels that have copyrighted materials without proper permission are deleted from the forum once noticed. (I don't remember this actually happening, but I'm fairly sure that is the policy now) So while you are free to talk about the content, you won't be able to post your level here when it is done unless you 1: get permission or 2: remove the content. Surely you can get some music that would work that wouldn't cause this type of problem. I would really hate to see the level not be posted here when done just because of copyright issues.

Offline Xia

• View Profile
That's one way to look at it, but you should at least ask.  Try your best to contact each of the parties in question and secure permission. The administrators will be legally obligated to attend to concerns over copyright infringement should any arise.

Well, okay, you might have a difficult time contacting tri-Crescendo (Baten Kaitos) unless you speak Japanese, and I can't find a contact for Boards of Canada, but I can confirm the others have contact methods easily found with a google search.

Yeah I just went looking for baten kaitos and found nothing. Boards of Canada has a myspace account but I don't have one because I have a thing against the existence of myspace so that's kind of difficult. =P

So I guess I'll work on getting permissions for the music. Blah.

EDIT: found a place for god is an astronaut: http://www.superadmusic.com/god/divinecommunication.html
Would I email the one that has to do with "Business Enquiries and Bookings"?

edit: i don't care how underground some bands are. GET YOUR OWN SITE! DX
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 04:35:40 by Xia »

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
EDIT: found a place for god is an astronaut: http://www.superadmusic.com/god/divinecommunication.html
If I were you, that's what I'd do.  He's the best visible choice for a mediator between you and the band.

Offline Xia

• View Profile
If I were you, that's what I'd do.  He's the best visible choice for a mediator between you and the band.

Also for: http://www.explosionsinthesky.com/contacts.html
Would I be contacting the licensing section, the band itself, or general inquiries? They have a lot of links.
Also, just got done sending an email to GiaA, we'll see what they have to say hopefully soon.