Somewhat Mysterious Project

• 9 Replies

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
Somewhat Mysterious Project
« on: March 16, 2009, 20:01:14 »
NOTE: Intensive work on this is delayed until one of two things happens:
1. The authorities decide that the level archive is a bad idea/too much work and reintroduce the custom level forum.
2. The level archive is created and has a proper user system, review/comment system, rating system, and category system.  Only then will I have any confidence that new levels will get anywhere near as much attention as they did on the forum (there is no way they'll get more attention, but they might be able to get almost as much), and be properly motivated to continue making this.
It is also delayed until a version of Knytt Stories with moving custom objects is available.  I'm pretty sure that won't take too long though.
I still might add a couple things to the tilesets or add a screen or something, but don't expect me to post additional screenshots or anything!

(As you've probably guessed, I am against the archive, but nothing I say is going to change it, so I'm not going to say much more about it.  I hope I don't come off as rude with this, because I don't want to! :))

Anyway, this is a level that is very unoriginal in all regards.  I've been working on it for a few months now and have no particular excuse for all the ideas I've stolen/will steal.
It has 100% exclusive tilesets, and hopefully 100% exclusive music, as well as a smattering of custom objects, but that doesn't change the fact that it will feel like something you've seen before.
I apologize.
Still, if you want more of the same, then this should please you.
These screenshots probably make it look much better than it really is, and for that I'm sorry, because it will get your hopes up, but I'm still posting them.

(As you've probably guessed, I am trying to keep your expectations from becoming too high.)

If it seems too mysterious, that's probably because there isn't that much of it.
Oh, and yes, I'm still working on Flipping.  (Sloowly...)

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
Re: Somewhat Mysterious Project
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 23:52:51 »
Cool. :O I'm a fan of old Nifflas syle get-some/all-of-the-items-and-go-here-to-win type games. Will I like this, then? :)
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline Kasran

• TRANSFENESTRATIVE EGRESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 14:41:50 »
Stop trying to lower my expectations. That's my job to lower your expectations of my work. <_<

Anyway, cool.
grao!

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 21:13:55 »
Oh, just looked at A Lost Life and one of the tilesets looks very similar to the one in the second screenshot.  To absolve myself of the idea that I might be stealing something, both of those screens and tilesets were made in early November 2008 and I have the credentials to prove it.
And shawnachu can't be stealing anything either because that second tileset/screenshot hasn't been posted until now.

So it's all good.

Offline JC Grim the 'crete reaper

• I might be sick, broken, torn to pieces...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 21:35:12 »
It is also delayed until a version of Knytt Stories with moving custom objects is available.  I'm pretty sure that won't take too long though.

It will take as long as it takes someone to make a movement engine that Nifflas likes.
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

- George Orwell

Offline Kasran

• TRANSFENESTRATIVE EGRESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 13:08:13 »
I'm working on the concept for a movement engine that should work fairly well.
(of course, everything else I've made that works on paper screws up in MMF2, but let's overlook that point for now.)
grao!

Offline JC Grim the 'crete reaper

• I might be sick, broken, torn to pieces...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 15:14:41 »
(of course, everything else I've made that works on paper screws up in MMF2, but let's overlook that point for now.)

Will do.
Something being done is better than nothing being done.
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

- George Orwell

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 01:25:04 »

oh god i posted a screenshot

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 03:12:20 »
Well guys, I'm afraid this project is abandoned.

Not because I don't have the time/motivation/ability to finish it, but because what exists now is not what I was aiming for.
I'm releasing all the tilesets into the public, and putting Small World (the working title, and since the level was never finished it's only fitting that it be kept) up for download in case someone is curious.  But since I didn't get around to actually putting much of anything anywhere...yeah.  You'll note that I didn't even bother to .bin it.

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 04:38:40 »
Well guys, I'm afraid this project is abandoned.

Not because I don't have the time/motivation/ability to finish it, but because what exists now is not what I was aiming for.
I'm releasing all the tilesets into the public, and putting Small World (the working title, and since the level was never finished it's only fitting that it be kept) up for download in case someone is curious.  But since I didn't get around to actually putting much of anything anywhere...yeah.  You'll note that I didn't even bother to .bin it.
[vader]NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!![/vader]

EDIT: Looking at this, despite the number of unused tiles in the tileset, you sure had a great level going! I especially liked your level layout! PURE WIN. Please! Don't give up! Never give it up! Never let it down!

EDIT2: Removed the image of Darth Vader 'cause the website was apparently hacked with a line of coding that infects your computer with malware.  :shocked:
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 21:24:27 by Pumpkinbot »
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.