Null [environmental]

• 16 Replies

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
Null [environmental]
« on: December 14, 2009, 01:42:13 »
This level is an attempted remake of my first level, so far. It is about a girl who lives alone with her mom and decided to explore the outside world. Much of my old level will be imported/upgraded for Null.
I need 2-5 beta testers, so if you are interested, please post so.
Preview screens:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 04:41:11 by Dj Gopher »

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
Re: Null [environmental/challenge]
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 04:25:36 »
I hope you're aware that putting both 'environmental' and 'challenge' tags on your level breaks Nifflas' rule that explicitly asks users not to do this.

The completed Knyttlevels.com will not accept such levels, and the content of the temporary KS level board here will be erased eventually, so if you plan your level to be available on the long-term... ;)

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
Re: Null [environmental/challenge]
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 04:42:01 »
I hope you're aware that putting both 'environmental' and 'challenge' tags on your level breaks Nifflas' rule that explicitly asks users not to do this.

The completed Knyttlevels.com will not accept such levels, and the content of the temporary KS level board here will be erased eventually, so if you plan your level to be available on the long-term... ;)
It can't be puzzle-like but still focused on environment?
But ok.. Thanks :)

Offline SiamJai

• View Profile
    • A gaming blog like no other.
Re: Null [environmental]
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 04:57:36 »
You're welcome. :)

One important criterion for the Environmental tag is that the level lacks any sort of challenge. This makes it incompatible with almost all other type of levels.

I agree that it'd be nice to differentiate between challenges/puzzles that put an emphasis on making the surroundings pretty, and ones that focus on the challenge alone and use minimal environment only. Until there is a system that does that, the distinction will have to go in the description, I guess. :)

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 05:40:19 »
It can't be puzzle-like but still focused on environment?
But ok.. Thanks :)
I agree it's an annoying rule, but it's there for a reason:  The "Environmental" designation is meant for exploration levels that have few challenges - like the original Knytt.
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

Offline Pick Yer Poison

• One cool cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 17:54:18 »
Thanks for pointing this out, SiamJai; this is a pet peeve of mine and I'm glad someone who's in authority is actually making a point of it.

Offline Vinterrun

• Schniggedi Schnapp die Daumen sind ab!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 18:17:43 »
I`m up for beta testing =D
Uhm... how about the name Null? in my motherlanguage "Null" is supposed to be "Zero". D`awww high five german brother  C)p
under re-construction:

Coming late:

Starwale *pun*

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 23:46:05 »
I`m up for beta testing =D
Uhm... how about the name Null? in my motherlanguage "Null" is supposed to be "Zero". D`awww high five german brother  C)p
"Null" has a different meaning in English.  Null doesn't even mean zero; when something is null, it is a void.  In mathematics and programming, "null" means a nonexistent or undefined value.

(google translate English "null" to German says: 1. nichtig, 2. null und nichtig, 3. ungültig, 4. unwirksam)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 23:57:37 by Exp HP »
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 16:51:50 »
Pretty screens! Nice combination of tilesets.

Offline delii

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 15:05:20 »
I'll beta test if you're still looking for people!
“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Comhon

• View Profile
    • comhon.cz
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 09:52:43 »
Nice, I wanted to be betatester but now I can't. Sorry. :/

Offline Xia

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 10:44:11 »
I could beta test if you still need people. I like environmental levels so I can't wait to see how yours will turn out.
[medium size, two endings, hard difficulty] Flight.
Coming soon! The Quest of Unknown Length

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 07:01:16 »
I'd like to beta-test as well if you're still in need.  I love, love, love environmental levels, and every time I play a Knytt Stories level, I make sure to push it to its limits.  I believe that would make me a great beta-tester.

Offline Dj Gopher

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 06:05:12 »
Sorry if theres a rule on necro posting, but I'd like to let everyone I'm starting this level up again and will have some new screens very soon :D

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 19:46:50 »
Sorry if theres a rule on necro posting, but I'd like to let everyone I'm starting this level up again and will have some new screens very soon :D

Good to hear!

And I don't think it's possible to necro-post on your own level development thread. ;-)