Whew!

• 15 Replies

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
Whew!
« on: December 03, 2009, 01:31:24 »
Celebrate with me! I just beat the single most difficult screen of my - admittedly short - KS playing 'career'!

(See attachment. The level is Andrew Noel's "The Underground City". I had double-jump and the umbrella, but not - obviously - the high-jump powerup.)

... It took me... wait for it...

FIVE

frelling

MONTHS

of intermittent attempts. (Yes, I can be persistent. Occasionally.)

ETA: Link to the level: http://nifflas.ni2.se/forum/index.php?topic=1074.0

ETA2: Of course, now I'm wondering if it would have been possible, after all, to approach the task from the left rather than from the right. I was maybe a bit premature in assuming it was impossible to jump that far without the high-jump powerup. Maybe with the right combination of running, jumping, and opening the umbrella at just the right moment? Hmm.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 01:41:47 by Hmpf »

Re: Whew!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 02:06:49 »
FIVE

frelling

MONTHS
That's what I call dedication.
Lurk more.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 02:17:04 »
FIVE

frelling

MONTHS
That's what I call dedication.

There's a reason why I usually prefer to cheat. ;-)

I know I talk a lot about how bad I am at playing KS; well, I'm not just saying that for effect. I really *am* crap at playing this game. It's quite the achievement for me to actually be able to finish the occasional hard level now.

But occasionally a challenge feels like it's practically taunting me, because it's made up of elements that are very similar to things I know I can do, and so, with that type of challenge, I'll occasionally latch on and just keep at it.

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 02:24:32 »
Go play Spiral. Then we can talk about hard.
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Backloggery (click to show/hide)

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 05:03:01 »
As compared to this level, yes. Spiral was difficult the first time around, but once you get better, it's not all that hard.
Lurk more.

Offline special_d

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 05:04:55 »
Spiral is honestly, probably one of the quickest levels I can beat now. You get used to it after a while.

Offline LimeLemon

• ¯\(°_o)/¯ i dunno lol
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 13:35:32 »
As compared to this level, yes. Spiral was difficult the first time around, but once you get better, it's not all that hard.
Spiral is honestly, probably one of the quickest levels I can beat now. You get used to it after a while.
That's why I love it. You actually learn something from playing it. You get better. And you can use that skills in other levels, too!
Spoiler: Achievements (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Backloggery (click to show/hide)

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 15:05:53 »
I continue to be impressed with myself: I am currently making real progress on Farik's Ascension, a level I previously thought forever beyond the reach of my capabilities. o.O Seems I *am* able to improve, after all...

(Incidentally: Ascension is classified as 'hard', but I think it's more like 'very hard'...)

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 16:08:46 »
Ascention i would say is hard for about 90% of it with 1 or 2 very hard parts in it.

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 16:18:35 »
Ascention i would say is hard for about 90% of it with 1 or 2 very hard parts in it.

Yeah, but those very hard parts should be what guides the classification of the level, shouldn't they? Otherwise you could make an easy level with one insane-difficulty challenge and call it "easy" because most of it is easy...

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 23:11:47 »
Sometimes the difficulty rating is difficult to define itself.

How you play a level effects the difficulty.

For example Spiral which i heard people mention in this thread i would call hard rather than very hard, because its luck based gameplay quite alot of the time with enemies which have random movements and random spawn points. If you go into the level expecting to die 20 times per screen then its just a matter of patience but if you go into it trying to do a time trial then i'd say its very difficult.

Panacea is also a very difficult level but i'd describe it as Lunatic to be honest because every single difficult screen requires pin point precision and doesn't rely on randomly moving enemies so much.

Offline special_d

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 00:01:37 »
Ascension is a bloody annoying level at first. I can beat it easily now but those spike jumps at first...

Offline Hmpf

• Now with less rain.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 02:23:54 »
*moves Ascension to the "beaten levels" folder with enormous satisfaction*

It only took... what, seven months? I think. Which doesn't mean that I tried beating it constantly, of course. I tried for a while at the beginning and then gave up, and then started trying again very recently. And somehow, by playing a lot of other levels between then and now my skills must have improved enough for me to finally beat it now.

... That jump, the one you have to do all the time in the caverns? That's one I only learned playing Ascension last week. I'm still not exactly great at it, but at least now I know it's a) possible and b) I can manage it when I try really hard.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 02:26:48 by Hmpf »

Offline smeagle

• Using Arch now
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2009, 07:25:21 »
Good work!
the hardest levels ive beaten are panacea and insurance