[Normal - Hard? / Challenge] "Easy" Labyrinth

• 9 Replies

Offline fred052

• View Profile
[Normal - Hard? / Challenge] "Easy" Labyrinth
« on: December 08, 2009, 22:35:16 »
Hello, as I promised, here is the topic for my level.
I will also start to search for 3, beta tester, but the beta is still unfinished, it will be out really soon.
I won't make any demo, only the complete version.
And here are some screenshots. On the first screenshot, the ground is sticky! I say that so people can understand why it will be hard when they will be there...

Il will be some sort of a trial, to find a treasure (don't know what it will be yet), you'll travel trough 7 sections, each one with different characteristic.
For now, only 5 are done, an I'm working on the sixth. Once it will be done, I will release a beta to the tester.

Beta tester for now :
-Headgrinder
-Vegetal Gibber
-
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 14:43:46 by fred052 »
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline fred052

• View Profile
Re: [Normal - Hard? / Challenge] "Easy" Labyrinth
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 22:23:28 »
Ok, I know, it is horrible to double post, but I have no choice...

I have worked a "bit" on my level, and it is maybe half way done... But I might change the title, because it doesn't match that much with the level, don't know, I'm gonna see...
And I am still searching for beta tester. Maybe I will up to 5 beta tester instead of 3.
Other screenshots coming soon, with the first demo for the beta tester, if anyone want to beta test of course.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 13:22:23 »
Hmmm... while I respect anyone creating anything, I'm afraid that is an extremely uninteresting screen shot.  I think I get the concept, which could be good, but as long as it is that visually dry I don't know if you will be drumming up all that much enthusiasm.  Put some pizazz in there man!  Some bam, boom be-bopin beauty!

I'd be happy to do some beta testing for you, but realize I'm a critical dude.  I'll openly praise the good, and darkly deface the bad.  :)

Offline fred052

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 14:47:51 »
Finally, an answer!!!
You are welcome to do beta testing. I don't worry about critics. Good critics makes good level, no?
For the screenshot, I might change it, to make people download the game; or at least to make them beta test... I'm searching right now.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 15:59:56 »
Yes, do change it.  I think it is human nature, to some degree, to ignore things that don't provoke them, and to be drawn to things that do.  So make your screen shots provoking!

Offline fred052

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 18:51:53 »
Added some screenshots. I hope they will be good enough...

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 07:22:32 »
The problem with the screens is that there is nothing in them. Simple ground and backround tiles is not very interesting. Then you also use the most boring tileset for it, we all seen it used a thousend times before.

Offline Vegetal Gibber

• Sorry excuse for a game designer
    • View Profile
    • VG's Games Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 12:01:36 »
Okay, I'll bite :P  I have to agree with Headgrinder and Salmoneous, the current screenshots look a bit boring... but I'm curious about what kind of challenges you have thought of. I suppose the only way of knowing if this is going to be a fun level is to try it... so, if you want me to test your level and give you my opinion, count me in :)
Some KS levels by me:

Offline fred052

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 14:38:42 »
Ok, so Vegetal Gibber is beta testing too. If you want me to put more beta tester slots, just tell me.

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 18:20:56 »
I have to comment one more time.

You need to really push yourself if you want to make an interesting level.  How dedicated are you to making a great level?  You'll have to decide how much time, energy, and determination you have for your project.

Right now your level (what little I've seen) does have a kind of claustrophobic, maze like feel.  Is that what you want?  If so, go with it, make it more maze like, more confusing.  Were you wanting it a little more open?  What kind of environment do you picture Juni going through here?  Is this an ancient Greek labyrinth, an Egyptian one, alien, sci fi, a cave, or what?  There is a tileset you can use for each of these if you look through the public tilesets.  Maybe you'll want each of these styles for each different section.  Does the shift from one area to the other seem natural or forced? 

You are also basically going to be an decorator, so you have to have an eye that can recognize what looks good and what is simply boring.  You can learn to do this simply by being critical of any and every game or image you look at.  Feel the game.  Your ability to be visually critical, like any part of your brain, is a muscle you develop with practice. 

To develop your level, try copying and pasting a screen you like 2 or 3 times and work each one up a little differently.  Play with the tilesets, see what you like.  Play other levels and see what about them is exciting and interesting and learn from that.   

Ok, I've played art teacher long enough.  Hope that helped.