Bad level design

• 27 Replies
Bad level design
« on: February 28, 2011, 23:17:12 »
Figured that I'd start a thread about it; it might help us to see less of it in the future.

Anyway, I'll start with a list of design decisions that I can't stand, and anyone else can post their own pet peeves below.

:moody: Slippery walls that only exist because the author couldn't be bothered to think of another way to constrain the player.

Slippery walls have their place, and, if employed properly, can really enhance a level.  (See the Water Temple in Infestation for a good example of that kind of thing.)  Most of the time, though, they're just cheap ways to keep the player from progressing until they've found a jump powerup, or to prevent them from accidentally exiting the level.  That's nothing but a cop-out, and it feels really cheap.  You might be able to get away with it by distinguishing climbable and slippery walls with different graphics, but it takes skill to pull that off, and it often feels just as forced.  (For example, Yggdrasil uses altered tiles to show where slippery walls are, but the walls themselves are so arbitrary that it makes no difference.)

:ohnoes: Disguising a chomper an eater with grass or similar scenery.

I don't know if there's even an official name for those things that lie in wait underground to devour unsuspecting players, but I've always called them chompers. Disregard that; there is an official name.  And there are few things worse than using them in places where they can barely even be seen.  Every time that it happens to me, I picture the author going, "Ha, ha!  I got you!" and then running off to, I don't know, pick his nose or something.

:sigh: Hidden spikes as a cheap way to increase "difficulty".

I see these things used most frequently in three contexts: they're in places that the author doesn't want me to climb, they're in places that otherwise make me let my guard down, and they're in "mazes" of spike-covered blocks that I have to jump through.  The first two uses tie in somewhat to the previous items on this list; my comments there apply here, too.  That third use can work very well, provided that the author makes it possible to divine where to jump without resorting to trial and error, but, sadly, it's often just a way to artificially lengthen playing time by keeping the player "occupied" with dying repeatedly, and that's never good.

>( Making the player go without the run powerup for more than three screens.

You'd better have a really good reason for pulling this one.  Again, it isn't like I haven't seen levels that do it well, but most examples of this that I've seen seem to have been designed solely to test my patience.  Not good.

:sad: Over-reliance on pixel-perfect jumping tests.

I like a good, challenging jump every once in a while.  It's far more satisfying to just barely make it across a gap than it is to hop over it with three tiles to spare, and few things feel more impressive than scaling an irregular surface without being able to double-jump.  But, please, don't overdo it.  That elation quickly turns to frustration and exhaustion when the player finds out that they have to make the same jump three more times in order to get to the next save point.  (Timecraft, I'm looking at you.)

<_< Trying to out-The Machine The Machine.

This is, by far, one of the lamest approaches to level design that I've seen - and, sadly, it's also one of the most common.  You have the same environments, only less atmospheric, the same backtracking, only less fulfilling, the same contrived premise, only less distinctive.  Heck, a lot of these levels even end their opening narration with "This is what happened next:" or a similar phrase.  What happens next, though, usually comes across as more of a Chinese knockoff cheap imitation of Nifflas's style than as something worthy of consideration in its own right.  If you're merely going to rehash a four-year-old approach to level design that was executed perfectly well the first time around, why are you even bothering with your own level in the first place?

Also of note are flaws in execution that, while not exactly pertaining to design, are sloppy enough to make a level far less than what it could be:

:shocked: Solid scenery.

Self-explanatory.  While mostly confined (thank God) to those near-clueless first-time efforts that inexplicably make it to the archive (Why do people upload those things, anyway?  Do they really think that someone is going to download a level with a name like "destory the robots"?  Or that anyone who would is going to make it past the first screen without immediately thinking about uninstalling it?), I did see it in the otherwise excellent Caverns (and intentionally, at that - never before had I seen a tree silhouette used as a platform, and I dearly hope that I don't see one again) so I thought that it warranted inclusion here.

:sick: "Blocking" the player's path with obstacles that the player can overcome.

The only jumping test more irritating than the fourth one in a row is one that leads to a void.  Sometimes, a level author, thinking that their inability to traverse an obstacle marks it as an absolute boundary, will use it at the edge of a level in order to keep the player from merrily running off into a purple oblivion.  What they don't count on, though, is the player, convinced that it hides some necessary item or area, trying over and over again to get past it, realizing only after this arduous challenge that it was all a waste of time.  I actually discovered wallswims by somehow making it to the edge of an "impassable" lava flow and climbing the wall, only to find myself stuck inside a wall in a completely different part of the level.  Needless to say, I was less than thrilled about this.

:S Lack of atmosphere or variation in structure.

OK, so this doesn't really affect gameplay in any way, but it's a very noticeable detriment.  Long, flat stretches of ground (or floor, as the case may be), unadorned by such needless indulgences as "elevation changes" and "scenery", may be easy to create, but they commit a cardinal sin of level design in being really, really boring.  (To Travel So Far is a near-perfect example of what I'm talking about here.)  You don't have to go overboard and make everything an overwrought mass of ledges and flowers, but atmosphere is a big part of Knytt Stories, and it's a bad idea to neglect it.

All right; I'm done.  Reply as you see fit.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 22:42:34 by StellarJetman »

Offline Feline Monstrosity

• Pussy cat, pussy cat..
    • View Profile
Re: Bad level design
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 10:35:41 »
I agree with all of the above, and want to add a classic:

:moody: Not making it obivous which tiles are collidable foreground and which are background.

Please, try to have some sort of consistent design that makes it obvious which tiles you can walk/climb on and which are in the background. A favourite of mine is having all collision tiles have a solid black outline, but that's not necessary so long as you can tell at a glance which tiles are for walking on.
"In the world there is nothing more submissive and weak than water. Yet for attacking that which is hard and strong nothing can surpass it. "  ~Lao Tzu

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 13:11:09 »
It's funny how I could relate to pretty much all of those points. I think this topic deserves a sticky. :)

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 13:42:26 »
I suppose there are valid points being made, but it's a pity that there's a lot of very negative language used. Especially about "why people even upload their levels to the archive". Well, it's just that the archive is a place for all leves, and it's simply somewhat/more or less unfortunate that it does not provide an easy way to distinguish generally favoured levels from those that are less successful, so far at least. anyways, that's how I see it. meaning to say, I don't like how it sounds like levels which a certain person doesn't like shouldn't "deserve" to be hosted. that distinguishment is just not part of the archive's intentional purpose. :)
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline jetio4

• :hug:
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 14:33:44 »
<_< Trying to out-The Machine The Machine.
What happens next, though, usually comes across as more of a Chinese knockoff of Nifflas's style than as something worthy of consideration in its own right.
What's wrong with being Chinese? Besides that, I like your list :\ (I'm pretty sure you're not TRYING to be racist, but still. And yes, I am Chinese.)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 14:36:16 by jetio4 »
Hey there Delilah, what's it like in New York City, I'm a thousand miles away but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes you do~<br /><br />Time Square can't shine as bright as you, I swear it's true~

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 16:33:21 »
Good list of advice. I would suggest...

<_<  Don't start with a 400+ screen level. Make your first level a small one.

After reading this forum for a while, I've seen a lot of level previews from first-time developers that quickly turn into monstrous projects. And then turn into nothing because they get abandoned. Start small. In my experience, level development requires more work than expected. My first level was supposed to be 4 screens and ended up with 50+ after adding all the shifts, etc.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 16:49:42 by dave.germain »

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 16:52:17 »
What's wrong with being Chinese? Besides that, I like your list :\ (I'm pretty sure you're not TRYING to be racist, but still. And yes, I am Chinese.)

Oh, sorry.  I was referring to the well-known Chinese gray market for fake Rolexes and things like that.  Nothing to do with being Chinese at all.

Original post edited for your benefit.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 03:54:50 by StellarJetman »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 16:56:05 »
Check out this mega-thread on the same subject. The Level Designer's Trap.

Juni's a very capable girl, and blocking her way is a difficult task. In an open landscape the only options left are huge overhangs and long stretches of water, but even that has been complained about.

My personal gripe is hidden areas that are hidden too well. If the only way to find the keys that unlock the good ending is to ram Juni into every accessible surface on the map, you're doing it wrong. Even Nifflas does this, but in his defense he uses the Detect Target objects and after you find a few you get a sense of what places are suspicious. So, look to his levels if you want to drive me crazy using proper methods.

By the way, I'm totally guilty of some of the stuff above. Did I remake the machine? Yes. Did I hide Chompers ("Eater" in the source but most people call it "Chomper" or "Sand Croc" --an allusion to Cave Story) in the grass? Yes. Do I make you work for that Run power-up? You bet I do. Mwahahaa!

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 20:53:10 »
Check out this mega-thread on the same subject. The Level Designer's Trap.

You know what's really annoying?  I read that topic a few years ago.  Somehow, I'd forgotten that it had already been done.

(Although, to be fair, it was only when I got to the Jazz Jackrabbit post that I recognized it.)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 03:54:41 by StellarJetman »

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 23:15:24 »
<_<  Don't start with a 400+ screen level. Make your first level a small one.

I sooooo agree with this a million times! man, yeah.
actually I remember Nifflas saying that he had some similar opinion/experience with his own game projects. weeeeee
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 03:53:27 »
I would have said this earlier, but I had to run a few errands:

By the way, I'm totally guilty of some of the stuff above. Did I remake the machine? Yes. Did I hide Chompers ("Eater" in the source but most people call it "Chomper" or "Sand Croc" --an allusion to Cave Story) in the grass? Yes. Do I make you work for that Run power-up? You bet I do. Mwahahaa!

Are you talking about A Knytt in Time?  Aside from the fact that there's a machine in it, I'd hardly consider it an attempt to ape Nifflas's level, and it was rewarding to "work for that Run power-up", because you designed that part of the level to take advantage of Juni's restricted movement.  When I said that I'd seen levels that made that kind of thing work, yours was one of them.

Were the Eaters hidden in that level?  I remember them being rather easy to see.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 03:56:38 by StellarJetman »

Offline egomassive

• View Profile
    • egomassive games
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 07:41:19 »
I may have exaggerated my fallacies. The whole point of A Knytt in Time was to merge The Machine and many other reoccurring themes from Knytt Stories levels into a Zelda-like adventure. It definitely failed one of the the complaints here, it was a 700+ screen first level. Ugh, I feel like I'm high-jacking this thread. I just wanted to show that the best of us make these mistakes, in case anyone was feeling discouraged.

To get things back on track, I thought of the worst design flaw. If I need a certain power up to get past a certain point, don't let me travel past several screens of death-defying obstacles before I discover I've gone the wrong way. Then, if there were save points, I have to make my way back across the same obstacles again. Also, don't let me get trapped in a place I can't get out of. If I'm suppose to have the climb power by the time I encounter a pit, make sure I can't get to that pit without it. Better yet, make sure the best players can't get there.

I want to add that almost all bad design elements can be eliminated through testing. In addition to beta testing on the forum here, play it yourself, play it yourself pretending to be a newbie, and make someone else play it while you watch.

Offline Yonowaaru

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 22:21:21 »
Hmm... I don't really agree with the run thing. Sure, it might be a bit annoying if you're lazy or have no patience, but it makes other people slow down and actually take a look at what is actually supposed to be the interesting part, the design itself. Sure, there are some levels that combine design with difficulty and do it well, but if you're making an Enviromental level, make it interesting to look at! If it's not interesting to look at, and it isn't in any way challenging either, then what exactly is left of the level?

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 00:06:23 »
I suppose there's one complaint I can think of when reading this:

Don't make the user back-track a lot of places when you don't have the run powerup. Because then, a room can become boring, unless by shifts, the rooms are actually different.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline jetio4

• :hug:
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 14:39:50 »
Hmm... I don't really agree with the run thing. Sure, it might be a bit annoying if you're lazy or have no patience, but it makes other people slow down and actually take a look at what is actually supposed to be the interesting part, the design itself.

Someone else said this once, but I forgot who.
Quote from: ?
If you have to do that to make people look, you're doing something wrong.
Or something like that.
Hey there Delilah, what's it like in New York City, I'm a thousand miles away but girl tonight you look so pretty, yes you do~<br /><br />Time Square can't shine as bright as you, I swear it's true~