Tree artwork for KS tileset

• 8 Replies

Offline tridae

• View Profile
Tree artwork for KS tileset
« on: May 30, 2010, 10:39:07 »
I am drawing some trees for a tileset I am working on right now, but since this is my first tileset (and first time I ever drew a tree pixel by pixel), I am unsure of myself.
I wonder how the others draw trees for their tilesets and how they choose colors and shade it in and all.
Comments, criticism, and most of all, suggestions, please!

Offline Healy

• View Profile
Re: Tree artwork for KS tileset
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 21:56:38 »
I don't know much about drawing pixel trees, as I haven't done it myself, but I do think it looks a little weird when the leaves aren't covering the outer tips of the tree branches. Could just be me, though.

Offline Razzorman

• Contemplating name change.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 22:05:21 »
Those trees are really good already, but I would make the shading on the trunks more pronounced. I can barely see it.
My only star: :hiddenstar:

:D

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 22:58:12 »
You've got some really great branch structure there, but pretty much everything else needs work.

First of all, the colors.  The leaves will need multiple colors, and they generally need to be "scattered" quite a bit - look at the trees in Nifflas' KS tilesets.

The tree trunks: they're a bit of a funny shape, right now F is the best-looking trunk.  Try to make them a bit smoother.  There need to be more contrast between the two colors used for shading them; right now it's barely noticeable.  You're trying to do a bit too much with the shading; keep lines thick, smooth, and simple.

The leaves' shape is obviously going to change depending on the tree, but right now A, B, and C are the only ones with a good leaf pattern.  Again, they need variation in color, and could also stand to be quite a bit more dense.  Use three or four shades of the same hue (probably with the same saturation as well), and spread them around according to the shading.  If that makes the tree look "flat," the colors need more scattering; if the shading isn't noticeable, they need less scattering.

The step-by-step method for drawing trees pretty much goes: draw trunk shape, draw leaf pattern, shade trunk, shade leaves.  Usually it's the last part that takes the most time and practice, and you'll almost certainly get it wrong the first five times or so.  Drawing trees takes a lot of patience.

Offline BioShock

• Yes, I do like Bioshock
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 03:54:26 »
These are good! i dont know anything about making them, when i tried, it looked like a car D:, but overall, leaves need a little work for the colors, and try to make them scattered a little bit more

Offline tridae

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 12:31:45 »
Thanks for all the advice! That really helped
I've made some more trees with more shading and detail.

I reused and thickened the leaf patterns from B, C, and D. The new trees all use the same trunk and branches (you can see it in K). It's very time-consuming, so I felt a bit lazy.

And another thing - I just realized how small they are (2x2 boxes). I was trying to make sure they don't take up too much space in the tileset so I can put a variety of trees in there, but a 2x2 tree seems too small. If I add a 4x4 tree (which is bound to be much more detailed than smaller trees) there will be enough space left for one or two small trees. How do you think a 3x3 would look? What is the right size for a tree, anyway?

I also added Juni to scale.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 12:36:04 by tridae »

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 21:00:38 »
Generally trees in KS are relatively large in tiles; 4x4 is frequent, as are somewhat taller trees.

Offline Cosine

• func_dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 01:41:23 »
Well, it depends on the tree.

Anyhow, I'm not one to judge artwork, but I think your trees look very nice.
game developer, musician, level designer

Offline PeppyHare4000

• My time in this forum is over...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 17:03:21 »
well, you did your best.
I really!!! suck at making pixelated trees for tilesets :(