oh noes cursing

• 18 Replies

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
Re: oh noes cursing
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 16:07:34 »
I have some sort of internal filter in myself.  I swear when I'm alone, but I don't swear around other people almost ever, even if I'm reading something out loud that has a swear word.  It just feels awkward.

I have such filters, too. Both when I talk and when I listen and not only for swear words. Being what I call a "devoted atheist", my filter is set off by religious expressions, which I NEVER use and, being pretty much a grammar nazi, I'm always examining the grammatical structures other people and I use. It's pretty cool. xD

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 17:23:25 »
I would like to add new information to the topic.

One of the reasons why we want to keep away the word f*** from the forum as in f***ing awesome, is that this is actually a word thats only used in the USA. People (children's mostly) that learned english but not seen many series from the USA (though nowadays the series don't have that much swearing in them anymore, and if they have, they're beeped away), they simply don't understand this.

Aside of that, if we do allow such words here, people will assume its common to use that (outside the USA) and they will start doing it at home. They'll get questionable parents who are wondering where he/she learned those words. They will then be banned by their parents from accessing this forum! You'll basically loose a friend because of an unwanted side effect.
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline googoogjoob

• Forum Walrus
  • The Walrus is me.
    • View Profile
    • I have a LiveJournal. Yes. I do.
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 19:17:42 »
I would like to add new information to the topic.

One of the reasons why we want to keep away the word f*** from the forum as in f***ing awesome, is that this is actually a word thats only used in the USA. People (children's mostly) that learned english but not seen many series from the USA (though nowadays the series don't have that much swearing in them anymore, and if they have, they're beeped away), they simply don't understand this.

Aside of that, if we do allow such words here, people will assume its common to use that (outside the USA) and they will start doing it at home. They'll get questionable parents who are wondering where he/she learned those words. They will then be banned by their parents from accessing this forum! You'll basically loose a friend because of an unwanted side effect.

...wat.

"Fuck" is like the most basic profanity in English. It's used by English-speakers everywhere (eg, the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, etc), not just in the USA. (Though the USA is the most populous English-speaking country, so logically the word will be used most in the USA.)
good bye

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2010, 21:34:36 »
jeez, I didn't expect a whole discussion about this topic. I thought it would be clear that I'm strongly of the opinion that swearwords/profanities are not needed and thus not welcome here.
It's not exactly a sign of eloquence when you have to resort to profanities to stress your points. And in general we like people here to put some conceivable effort into the posts they're making. It's just less annoying that way.
If you cannot express yourself without swearwords, then learn to. If you can't behave according to the environment you're speaking in, learn to. You have to sooner or later anyways, so you might just as well start here.

In reply to now deleted post(s):
THIS IS NOT A SUBJECT OPEN FOR DISCUSSION (anymore) 9_9
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 13:30:29 by Miss Paula »
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs: