oh noes cursing

• 18 Replies

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
oh noes cursing
« on: January 21, 2010, 12:02:38 »
[mod]split off-topic discussion[/mod]

Boy oh boy... Do you really need to swear like that?

Please stop swearing like that.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 20:30:25 by Miss Paula »
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline minmay

• View Profile
    • Cow Muffins
Re: hypercam 2 probs
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 17:45:35 »
The rules in place don't really imply that swearing as a whole is forbidden, only swearing directed at other people, which I guess sort of makes sense.  Perhaps you should change that, LPChip, if you object to swearing as a whole (which, judging by the editing of Salmoneous' post, you do).

That said, there really aren't very many good freeware video capture programs around.  One reasonably good one is CamStudio, and, um, I can't think of any others.

Offline LPChip

• You can only truly help other people by allowing them to fail.
  • Excel at the thing you're the best at!
    • View Profile
    • LPChip Interactive
Re: hypercam 2 probs
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 17:48:10 »
I don't mind this:

Shit, I screwed up.

I do mind this:

This is fucking awesome.

Edit: okay, I added this: I also don't like the extensive and usually unnecessary use of words like fuck.

So the rules state:
Do not curse using bad words. It is not allowed to excessively curse using bad words, particularly those that are aimed towards other people. You can say "damn" or "shit" when you do something wrong etc, but not: "you are a @#$##$^#". I also don't like the extensive and usually unnecessary use of words like fuck.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 17:51:17 by LPChip »
on the left, above my avatar.

MODPlug Central Forum
"If I tried to kill you, I'd end up with a big fat hole through my laptop." - Chironex

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
Re: oh noes cursing
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 08:20:17 »
This is fucking awesome.

It's an adverb and used to strengthen the word awesome. The word "fucking" has nothing to do with what it means and by that becomes pointless to use. Fuck is a widespread word, often as a swearword but in this case it's a posetive to indicate as an adverb that something is awesome. And it is a very common use.

Also I just think it's stupid when people say there is bad words? Any word could just be bad if it is formulated as a negative point. And that people take such strong offense to simple swear words when not directed to them it tells that the person has problems and it hasn't to do with the "bad" words.

Offline Miss Paula

• I demand more of these.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 14:55:16 »
there are enough options to stress statements without using vulgar words. which then should explain what's meant with unneccessary use.
while it might or might not be arguable that some words should be considered as more "bad" than others, this forum has the in my opinion pretty sensible rule to just conform with the majority of people, who happen to dislike the overuse of unneeded profanity. I do not think this needs to be discussed further.
Spoiler: (click to show/hide)
:hs::hs::hs::hs::fish::hs::hs::hs::hs:
:hs:

Offline Pumpkinbot

• No terrain is too hard. Not even dragons.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 19:33:29 »
The word "fuck" has two uses: first, it means to...yeah. Second, it means absolutely nothing. It just strengthens whatever noun it's modifying. However, I've gotta agree with LPChip here. There's a lot of younger members on the board, so I'd at least pseudo-censor it, like "Fu--" or "F***".
A God, a Messiah, an Angel, a King, a Prince, and an All Terrain Vehicle.

Offline Nifflas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 23:35:21 »
Personally I don't mind the use of those words and I personally use "stronger" language in real life than on the forums - but LPChip and the other administrators introduced these rules, probably something to do with a good and friendly impression of the forum so that everyone can feel welcome here, even people who are offended by curses (including curses used positively, or curses which actually mean something positive). As I don't have time to run the forum myself, I fully trust the admins and moderators knows what they're doing and that there's a good reason for their choices.

In other words, a good idea is to follow the rules! Know that I try to adjust to them as well :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 23:37:18 by Nifflas »

Offline StaticRomantic

• it's coming to get you
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 03:20:05 »
i believe swear words are pointless. swearing either means a lack of better vocabulary or a cheap excuse to look angry, badass, emotional, or "mature", when really it is immature (or both).

think about it. most people swear out of anger, therefore implying thoughtlessness and rashness, or out of a desire to look more "mature" then others.

there are exceptions for swearing, i believe, in poetry and literature, as to make a point or describe a feeling, but seeing as no one here writes their posts as poetry, i really see no cause for swearing.

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 03:52:43 »
i believe swear words are pointless. swearing either means a lack of better vocabulary or a cheap excuse to look angry, badass, emotional, or "mature", when really it is immature (or both).
Paradox! :P Instead of "badass", you could use "awesome". But you didn't 'cause it would sound weak. See what I did there? This is why I'm saying we shouldn't ban everyone that curses.

I think we should keep the rules as is, or, maybe use a word filter to replace "fuck" with "fu--" or something along those lines. It's just the "F" word that I'm concerned about, really.

Offline StaticRomantic

• it's coming to get you
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 04:49:03 »
i dont really consider "badass" as swearing, but i guess this isnt really an argument about where to draw the line.

i wouldn't be against a filter, although that might just encourage swearing. seems to be the case in other sites. i think most of us here have set a good example for keeping it clean, and i think that's why it's stayed that way for the most part. if veterans keep up a good example, i dont think it'll be a problem

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 05:11:53 »
i wouldn't be against a filter, although that might just encourage swearing. seems to be the case in other sites. i think most of us here have set a good example for keeping it clean, and i think that's why it's stayed that way for the most part. if veterans keep up a good example, i dont think it'll be a problem
True...

Offline Salmoneous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 14:10:37 »
use a word filter to replace "fuck" with "fu--" or something along those lines.

Good idea but fu is short for "fuck you".   :P2

I think it has mostly to do with the enviroment surrounding us and that we pick up what others say unconsciously and use that when we speak. I go in school and young people swear alot more, since culture changes such as language have had a bigger inpact on the new generation.
There is off course psychological reasons behind use of language but as I said, in most cases it's unconscious use and not intended by the person.

I hope this made sense.  :nuts:

Edit: Oh yeah, I agree with that this is a nice forum and we want to keep it nice. There is alot of young and old members here. I do hope I don't come off as a less "nice" and "intellectual" individual when implying such pointless use of communication as swearing.

Offline PONTO

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2010, 15:43:07 »
I agree with Salmoneous, here.

Offline Pumpkinbot

• View Profile
    • My DeviantART page
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 15:45:39 »

I think it has mostly to do with the enviroment surrounding us and that we pick up what others say unconsciously and use that when we speak. I go in school and young people swear alot more, since culture changes such as language have had a bigger inpact on the new generation.
There is off course psychological reasons behind use of language but as I said, in most cases it's unconscious use and not intended by the person.

I hope this made sense.  :nuts:

Edit: Oh yeah, I agree with that this is a nice forum and we want to keep it nice. There is alot of young and old members here. I do hope I don't come off as a less "nice" and "intellectual" individual when implying such pointless use of communication as swearing.
True, but you can always restrain yourself from cursing out loud, unless you have Tourette's, and, even if you do, you can always go back through texts and messages on a forum and change those words. ;)

Woah, ninja'd by PONTO. :P

Offline Exp HP

• 1 in 166 children
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 15:48:10 »
There is so much truth to this.  Swearing isn't always a choice.  Our diction is constantly adapting to match that of the world we spend most of our lives in.  So when we are in a place where the standard diction has these words, what keeps us from using them ourselves?

Although despite me saying this, I am somewhat of an exception to this rule: I have some sort of internal filter in myself.  I swear when I'm alone, but I don't swear around other people almost ever, even if I'm reading something out loud that has a swear word.  It just feels awkward.  It took me a lot of work to get that way, and truth be told it probably helps that I have a social disability.  I don't assimilate social conventions as easily as everyone else, so life is more or less a game of self-manipulation for me. I managed to trick my own mind into thinking curse words are wrong to use.  Similarly, subjects like sex (god I hate typing that word) are taboo for me even though I'm about to graduate from high school, a place where every other sentence is "that's what she said."

It makes me look like a big baby, but I'm fine with it.  But I think the majority of people aren't in a position to manipulate their own attitudes towards stuff like this.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 15:50:33 by Exp HP »
(secretly hoping nobody will mention the object compendium)
My stars:   :hiddenstar:(Object Compendium):hiddenstar:(By PM)
Check out my Youtube channel for some terrible Let's Plays by a socially inept nerd!