[Environmental/Small/Easy] Understanding Time v0.7

• 22 Replies

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
[Environmental/Small/Easy] Understanding Time v0.7
« on: October 24, 2011, 21:52:37 »
Hello everyone,

I thought it's been too long since my last released level, so here's a small something I made in my spare time:

http://jashiin.com/miscellany/Yohji%20-%20Understanding%20Time%20v07.knytt.bin

Admittedly, the level is small, but I plan to expand it sometime in the future, hence the "v0.7" thing. I just had this urge to release something, you know? This was expanded from a small draft I had lying around, which was initially meant for Silly World (http://nifflas.lpchip.nl/index.php?topic=3494.0 - I do still plan to release that one day). Feedback welcome, but keep in mind I never really did coherent levels with smooth terrain  ;)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 22:19:01 by yohji »

Offline Raicuparta

• Rai
    • View Profile
Re: [Environmental/Small/Easy] Understanding Time v0.7
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 22:05:44 »
It says "Error - Possible Exploit" when installing.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 22:19:32 »
It says "Error - Possible Exploit" when installing.

Turns out you can't have periods in level titles. I've fixed the problem and modified the link in the original post. Sorry!

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 15:17:14 »
Here's a reachable place from which you get to a void.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 23:16:50 »
Here's a reachable place from which you get to a void.

Wow. I have absolutely no idea how you did that. Even if you execute a triangle jump to get on the ledge to the left of the small square, how do you get to stand on the right side of said square?  :whoa: How hard was that, anyway? Well, I'll try to get rid of the problem in the next version. Eh.

Offline GrayFace

• View Profile
    • my site
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 13:52:34 »
I didn't do it the fair way, although almost did - done the triangle jump and jumped at the right time then, but didn't press Left in time to grab on the square. Then I skipped the triangle jump with a cheat and just did the jump around that square. You just need to jump at the right time. I think it was easier than the triangle jump.

BTW, Juni can jump for 5 ticks after she stops touching the ground.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 13:55:55 by GrayFace »

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 14:55:11 »
OK, thanks for explaining that :)

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 01:55:28 »
Yeah for yohji worlds!  Even if they are unexpectedly short.  :/  I had to load the editor to figure out why I couldn't get any further.  "Oh, that's all there is." 

The initial area wasn't as inspiring as the later.  Pipe area was cool, as was the black water.  I kept expecting the first area to have passages in the waterfalls, but then, I was trying to find the rest of the level. 

I like the non traditional style you use.  It is always fresh. 

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 16:16:19 »
Yay, somebody likes this! Thanks  :) I'm expanding the black water area for the final release, and will probably add a couple of secret places in the other worlds; but otherwise I don't know, I'm limited by the tilesets. Really, there are just these two (the ones used in the first two areas) with the intricate semi-transparent stuff suitable for building stuff. I always have a hard time making tiles of my own, particularly when there's transparency involved, so, eh.

Spoiler: (click to show/hide)

Offline Headgrinder

• Smart Steel Polisher
    • View Profile
    • www.matthewepperson.wordpress.com
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 00:53:47 »
The thing is, even if you have paths that only lead to the night and day(?) areas, and even if you only use the limited tilesets you are already using, you can create some great screens and maze like areas that go up in to the sky, or down into the water/ground.  I think you know how to make each screen original and not simply repetitive, so I think you'll keep it interesting.  The thing is just to add enough area to explore that the player feels like they are experiencing something spacious, rather than a small little level.  Even a tight and small world needs to feel spacious just so you feel like you've done something by playing the game.   

And just my impression, I never would have thought of the first, colorful area as day.  More like a dreary or rainy dusk.  Wait, did they change color to symbolize the sun going down?

I always like you games yohji.  :D  I look forward to the expansions and the deeper story line. 

Offline sergiocornaga

• View Profile
    • Sergio's Games
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 14:56:58 »
When you post levels like this, I'm inclined to wait for the finished version. You promise one's coming, right?

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 14:03:28 »
And just my impression, I never would have thought of the first, colorful area as day.  More like a dreary or rainy dusk.  Wait, did they change color to symbolize the sun going down?

Well, I've changed the background in that area in the new version, so it looks more like daytime :) Color changes were a leftover from an older idea.

I always like you games yohji.  :D  I look forward to the expansions and the deeper story line. 

Thanks, that's encouraging  :)

When you post levels like this, I'm inclined to wait for the finished version. You promise one's coming, right?

Absolutely. I just don't know when; there's a ton of projects I have to work on in RL.

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 14:35:16 »
Loving your levels !  <3

Thanks! Same here, and I wish you'd finish another level sometime soon  ;)

Offline yohji

• View Profile
    • Jashiin's Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 17:53:17 »
I've been working on version 1.0 for a while now. It's coming together slowly, but there's some progress. All the areas will be expanded significantly, with many secret passages and mazes. Unlike version 0.7, there will be NPCs. There's also one new area (currently 50% complete, methinks), and maybe one or two more.

And it's all much more surreal than any other levels I've done, I think. A very fragmented, broken narrative. At least, that's what I'm aiming at now, since the previous version played too much like Concealment, and I can't think of anything else for this level anyway.